Wednesday 8 October 2008

9/22/08

So I've just walked for about an hour trying to find the deBernardis camera shop near Campo. I began too proud to stop and ask someone to help me find it but have already referenced my map three times since I left the art studio. Defeating from wandering, I finally stopped in a little trattoria and asked, turns out I was around the corner for the last fifteen minutes just not looking in the right place. Damn the little Roman curvy side streets everywhere with no street signs. As I follow the road a dentra (to the right) the store front comes into view with the kodak logo hanging above the door, the door which is blocked because of the large metal grate that's been pulled down. Shop's closed. I look at my phone: 3:30. Here I sit killing time til 4 when I hope the shop reopens after riposo. Roman naptime.

I'm glad to be taking so many art classes here. I hope it opens my eyes to new things. Already I can feel my perspective changing. Painting today was relaxing and really cleared my mind, the fact that we're allowed to listen to music while we do so is really enjoyable too.

Sometimes I feel the pressure from the city crunching down on me. It's not school because my classes aren't so hard or anything, and I get along with everyone here so the only thing else I could think of it to be is the hustle and bustle of the city. Boston never really got to me like Rome does, it's much bigger here and way more intimidating. It's definitely the city that's bothering me, and it's inhabitants. The pushing and honking and rudeness, you never escape it. Maybe a good talk with my photo or sketch professor would do me good. I think I'm missing adults in my life. When I'm at home I have my family around me at all times and when I'm in Boston I have professors to talk to as well as people at Bed Bath. I want to talk to everyone everywhere I go now, just strike up conversation with a stranger, especially when I see mom's on the tram with little kids or babies, but the language barrier is killing me, I've been trying to get better though. I don't think Italians are too up for random conversation though.

No comments: